The Most Common SEO Mistakes

Table of contents:

The Most Common SEO Mistakes
The Most Common SEO Mistakes

Video: The Most Common SEO Mistakes

Video: The Most Common SEO Mistakes
Video: Most Common SEO Mistakes You Don't Wanna Make 2023, May

Everyone can be wrong - this is part of our life. Only the one who does nothing is not mistaken.

SEO (search engine optimization) is no exception - it is a rather complex area of activity that requires specific knowledge. In this article, I want to tell you about the main mistakes that SEO specialists still make with links and content on the sites they create and promote. And what is remarkable - these mistakes are made not only by beginners, but also by experienced veterans.

SEO mistakes
SEO mistakes

Mistake # 1 - all links lead to the home page of your site

At first glance, it makes sense that all third-party links lead to your main page - after all, it is your "face" … However, this is not just a mistake, this is a very bad strategy because most sites have too many links to the main page and why will your site stand out from this majority? You will be lucky if it appears on the 10th page in the search results …

A good strategy is to distribute third-party links not only to the home page, but to all the pages of your site. A simple example: Wikipedia is one of the most popular websites in the world. Analysis shows that in total, Wikipedia has over 600 million backlinks, while the home page has approximately 6 million links. This means that only 1% of their total link volume goes to the home page, while the remaining 99% goes to internal pages.

Mistake # 2 - stopping getting links after hitting the first page in search results

After a long and laborious work, you finally saw your site on the first page in Yandex / Google search. Joyfully rubbing your hands and relaxing, you stop working on further website promotion - the goal is achieved …

Wait to rejoice! This is only the first stage of your work - you need to continue to support the process to consolidate the result. No result can last forever. You need to keep up with the times - it does not stand still. From the point of view of the search engine, your site was interesting to the user, it was constantly referred to, and suddenly, at one point, new links stopped appearing. So the site has become uninteresting? Remove it from the top positions in the search!

Do not stop working on the site - and then it will always be on the top lines of Yandex.

Mistake number 3 - the lack of a blog on the site

One of my clients, the director of marketing for firm N, asked me to write some news to post on the site in order to drive additional traffic. When I asked: "How many messages do I need to write?", I was answered: "It doesn't matter, no one reads them anyway …"

This is another mistake in your promotion strategy that is encountered by "old school promotion" specialists - they consider audience feedback and regularly updated content a waste of time.

How often can you change the content of your site? Almost never - after all, the site contains important information about you or your company, your services and prices, etc. And with blog posts, you can add new content to your site on a daily basis, which search engines love as they see the site live and thrive.

Mistake # 4 - ignoring the relevance of content to the topic of the site

Two Big Internet Marketing Mistakes:

  • Marketers think people are stupid.
  • Marketers think search engines are dumb.

Well-known marketer George Lois once said, "If you think people are stupid, you will spend your whole life doing stupid work."

And he is 100% right - people are not stupid, they are smart and most of all they value self-confidence. If a site visitor sees that you do not care how the content matches their requests, they are unlikely to come back to you again. Also, the search engine can distinguish the correspondence of the content on the pages of the site to its subject.

Do not repeat these simple mistakes and the number of visitors to your site will increase every day!

Popular by topic